Aplin Martin is a full-service Civil Engineering, Architecture, Planning, and Survey company, celebrating over 55 years of success in making sustainable communities a reality across Canada. Over the five decades, the Aplin Martin family has grown into a multi-disciplinary firm of 250+ talented and dedicated professionals delivering innovative and practical design solutions, approval strategies, and project management services to our clients in BC, AB, and ON. Aplin Martin has been recognized numerous times and has received the Project of the Year award from the Public Works Association of BC.
The Senior Engineering Designer requires minimal input/direction/guidance from the Engineer of Record and can lead the design of most projects from inception through total completion. Must exercise judgment on the appropriateness of engineering requirements identified by municipal jurisdictions and be expected to meet project milestone events in accordance with client and municipal deadlines. Is a reliable go-to person for technical engineering questions.
The Senior Engineering Designer will assume responsibility for the conceptual and detailed design phases for all aspects of:
- Municipal infrastructure expansion and site plan design.
- Cost estimating.
- Supporting the coordination of design approvals.
- Engineering analysis and reporting.
- Tender preparation and contract award.
- Contract administration during the construction phase for either (or both) our land development projects and/or capital works improvements initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interpretation of topographic information required for design.
- Direct involvement including the preparation of detailed engineering drawings (primarily using AutoCAD Civil 3D and related applications) for a variety of assigned municipal engineering projects involving roads, storm and sanitary sewers, catchment maps, watermains, stormwater detention systems and related infrastructure.
- Provide guidance, training and instruction of junior staff and technical support staff as needed to ensure completion of the design objectives.
- Design of ESC systems and plans.
- Preparation of alternate designs as necessary.
- Site and lot grading and earthworks balancing and optimization.
- Technical analysis of the municipal infrastructure components including sewer design sheets and modelling software.
- Preparation of quantity take-offs and cost estimates.
- Preparation of reports, letters, memos and other project correspondence.
- Compilation of as-built records for design and record drawings.
- Preparation of contract documents for project tendering and execution of the project design drawings.
- Application of municipal engineering design criteria and drawing preparation standards for individual communities, particularly Subdivision & Development Control Bylaws.
- Application of relevant sections of the Provincial Building Code as it relates to the design of municipal engineering infrastructure on private property.
- Familiarity with CCDC documents relating to Stipulated Price and Unit Price contracts.
- Familiarity with overarching federal, provincial, and municipal legislation, codes and bylaws.
- Knowledgeable and experienced in all aspects of the detailed design of municipal infrastructure for either public or private sector clients.
- Knowledgeable of technical design issues, constructability, cost, and design approvals.
- Knowledgeable of tender preparation with limited construction administration experience.
Skills and Qualifications
•Minimum 10 years of experience within the civil engineering field barring special exemption granted by combined approval from the Business Group Manager, Manager, People & Culture, and Operations Administrator.
• Registered as either an AScT, C.E.T., C.Tech., P.Tech., P.L.Eng., or a P.Eng. within the Province of work (or approved equivalent).
• Application of municipal engineering design criteria and drawing preparation standards for individual communities, particularly Subdivision & Development Control Bylaws.
• Application of relevant sections of the Provincial Building Code as it relates to the design of municipal engineering infrastructure on private property.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Professional and positive attitude
• Creative problem-solving skills
• Ability to manage time effectively and meet firm deadlines
• Ability to work simultaneously on several different projects and with multiple CAD Technicians and Engineering Designers.
• Knowledgeable in civil engineering design principles.
• Knowledgeable in tender preparation with some construction administration experience preferred.
Why Work for Aplin Martin:
Upon joining Aplin Martin, you will receive a competitive salary that is reflective of your skills and experience. You will also have access to a wide range of benefits, including:
- Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications, skills, and experience
- Extended medical, dental and vision benefits
- Life and disability insurance
- Group RRSP
- Employee Assistance Program
- Paid time-off
- Educational allowances for professional development
- Social and team building events
- Friendly and supportive team that works hard and plays hard
HOW TO APPLY:
We would love to hear from you. Click ‘Apply’ or email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. We would like to thank all applicants; however only successful candidates will be contacted.