Aplin Martin is a full-service Civil Engineering, Architecture, Planning, and Survey company, celebrating over 55 years of success in making sustainable communities a reality across Canada. Over the five decades, the Aplin Martin family has grown into a multi-disciplinary firm of 250+ talented and dedicated professionals delivering innovative and practical design solutions, approval strategies, and project management services to our clients in BC, AB, and ON. Aplin Martin has been recognized numerous times and has received the Project of the Year award from the Public Works Association of BC.
Based out of Calgary Office, the Intermediate Engineering Designer will perform a variety of design assignments on a project team including Civil 3D design. Responsibilities will vary depending on the level of industry and company experience. Ultimately, the Engineering Designer will assume responsibilities for the conceptual and detailed design phases for:
• Municipal infrastructure expansion and site plan design.
• Cost estimating.
• Engineering analysis and reporting.
• Tender preparation and contract award.
• Contract administration during the construction phase for either (or both) our land development projects and/or capital works improvements initiatives.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Undertake a variety of detailed design tasks to support the design of both Land Development and Capital Works projects.
• Interpret topographic information required for design.
• Perform site and lot grading.
• Complete the technical analysis and calculations for storm, sanitary and water municipal infrastructure components and systems.
• Prepare storm water management quantity and quality calculations.
• Prepare road designs.
• Prepare storm sewer, sanitary sewer and water distribution system designs.
• Prepare detailed engineering drawings (primarily using Civil 3D and related applications).
• Prepare Erosion/Sediment Control Plans, Details and Notes.
• Prepare quantity take-offs and cost estimates.
• Compile as-built records for design and record drawings.
• Prepare contract documents for project tendering and execute project design drawings.
• Prepare Functional Servicing and Storm water Management Reports in support of Zoning By-law Amendment and Site Plan Application.
• Coordinate design with consultant team including but not limited to: architect, landscape architect, mechanical engineer, electrical engineer, traffic consultant, hydrogeologist, and geotechnical engineer.
• Prepare formal response letters to approving agencies addressing development engineering comments.
• Application of municipal engineering design criteria and drawing preparation standards for individual communities, particularly Subdivision & Development Control Bylaws.
• Application of relevant sections of the Provincial Building Code as it relates to the design of municipal engineering infrastructure on private property.
• Familiarity with CCDC documents relating to Stipulated Price and Unit Price contracts.
• Familiarity with overarching federal, provincial, and municipal legislation, codes and bylaws.
• Knowledgeable and experienced in all aspects of the detailed design of municipal infrastructure for either public or private sector clients.
• Knowledgeable of technical design issues, constructability, cost, and design approvals.
• Knowledgeable of tender preparation with limited construction administration experience.
Skills and Qualifications:
• Completion of Civil Engineering Diploma or Degree from an Accredited Institution.
• Experience in the civil design industry is an asset.
• Eligible for future registration as either an EIT, AScT, C.E.T., C.Tech., or P.Eng. within the Province of work (or approved equivalent).
• Strong work ethic and motivation to succeed.
• Good written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong ability to implement direction.
• Well organized and able to prioritize multiple tasks
• Demonstrate a flexible approach to work assignments.
Why Work for Aplin Martin:
Upon joining Aplin Martin, you will receive a competitive salary that is reflective of your skills and experience. You will also have access to a wide range of benefits, including:
- Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications, skills, and experience
- Extended medical, dental and vision benefits
- Life and disability insurance
- Group RRSP
- Employee Assistance Program
- Paid time-off
- Educational allowances for professional development
- Social and team building events
- Friendly and supportive team that works hard and plays hard
HOW TO APPLY:
We would love to hear from you. Click ‘Apply’ or email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. We would like to thank all applicants; however only successful candidates will be contacted.