Aplin Martin is a full-service Civil Engineering, Architecture, Planning, and Survey company, celebrating over 55 years of success in making sustainable communities a reality across Canada. Over the five decades, the Aplin Martin family has grown into a multi-disciplinary firm of 250+ talented and dedicated professionals delivering innovative and practical design solutions, approval strategies, and project management services to our clients in BC, AB, and ON. Aplin Martin has been recognized numerous times and has received the Project of the Year award from the Public Works Association of BC.
We are seeking an Environmental Professional with 5+ years of progressive experience in the field of habitat conservation and remediation. This role will see you working directly with Project Managers throughout our organization. You will be our Environmental practitioner and handle coordination of environmental approvals. This is a great opportunity for someone who is looking to expand their skills and get to work on a variety of projects.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Aplin Martin provides technical and strategic consulting services to industrial, residential, commercial, and municipality clients in four key practice areas:
- Environmental Development Permits (EDP).
- Construction Environmental Management Plan (CEMP) and monitoring.
- Erosion and Sediment Control (ESC) Plan and construction monitoring.
- Riparian Areas Protection Regulation (RAPR) Assessments.
- Lead regulatory approvals acquisition under the BC Water Sustainability, Fisheries Act, Riparian Areas Protection Regulation, and BCWildlife Act.
- Lead the development of environmental investigations, environmental management plans including research, field work, and technical report writing.
Project Management & Design:
- Scope, plan, develop, and implement field programs with a focus on the aquatic environment component for a variety of natural resource, municipal, land development, and infrastructure projects.
- Manage the design and delivery of independent and supporting biological studies and programs, with an emphasis on aquatic and riparian ecosystems.
- Liaise with public and private sector clients, government review and approval agencies, sub-consultants and community representatives.
- Coordinate project team activities, provide direction to project team members and contribute to development of staff.
- Subcontractor management.
- Promote a strong health and safety culture.
- Build client relationships through client communications, preparation of proposals, and business development activities.
- Collaborate with staff across BC for the purposes of project delivery, client relationship development, and opportunity/project research.
- Undertake business travel, as required.
Learning & Development:
- Continued development of self, including both technical skills and business acumen.
- Contribute to the career development of less tenured staff, including technical direction, training recommendations, coaching, and mentoring.
- Contribute to Aplin’s corporate profile through active participation in professional associations and committees.
Skills and Qualifications:
- An M.Sc. degree is preferred; an undergraduate degree with relevant experience will be considered. Preference will be provided for degrees in aquatic biology, ecology, or environmental sciences.
- 5 to 7 years’ professional work experience in environmental consulting and/or related work experience
- Membership as a Registered Professional Biologist (R.P.Bio.) with the BC College of Applied Biology or immediately eligible
- Certification in Riparian Areas Protection Regulation will be considered an asset.
- Certification with the Erosion and Sediment Control Association of BC will be considered an asset.
- Valid Class 5 BC Drivers’ License
- Knowledgeable and experiences with provincial and federal environmental legislation, regulations, policies, guidelines, and regulatory permitting and approval requirements
- Experience with local Lower Mainland region municipal government bylaws and policies related to land development and environmental protection.
- Experience in the preparation of regulatory applications and submissions
- Experience in watercourse assessment, wetland evaluation, and riparian areas assessments.
- Strong understanding and experience with the application of Best Management Practices to environmental compliance and effectiveness monitoring programs.
- Excellent technical writing skills.
- Strong project schedule and financial management skills
- Experience interacting directly with clients to execute project delivery.
- Experience engaging and/or working with stakeholders and communities, including Indigenous communities considered an asset.
- Ability to coordinate technical professionals.
- Proficiency in proposal preparation and presentations
- Excellent oral and written communication, critical thinking, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Commitment to project quality and capability of meeting project deadlines.
- Interest in the business aspects of consulting and employee ownership.
Why Work for Aplin Martin:
Upon joining Aplin Martin, you will receive a competitive salary that is reflective of your skills and experience. You will also have access to a wide range of benefits, including:
- Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications, skills, and experience
- Extended medical, dental and vision benefits
- Life and disability insurance
- Group RRSP
- Employee Assistance Program
- Paid time-off
- Educational allowances for professional development
- Social and team building events.
- Friendly and supportive team that works hard and plays hard.
HOW TO APPLY:
We would love to hear from you. Click ‘Apply’ or email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We would like to thank all applicants; however only successful candidates will be contacted.