Aplin Martin is a fully integrated, multi-disciplinary firm incorporating civil engineering, urban design, and planning, architectural, and surveying services. With offices in Nanaimo, Vancouver, Surrey, Kelowna, Calgary, Edmonton, and Toronto our highly trained team of engineers, designers, planners, and surveyors bring quality leadership, knowledge, and experience to every project.
About the Opportunity
As a result of our expanded growth, an immediate opportunity currently exists in our Nanaimo, BC office for a Junior – Intermediate Civil Designer/Engineer-In-Training. The successful candidate(s) will be required to prepare construction drawings/documents, assist in the coordination of design and specifications within the context of a multidisciplinary design team.
As a Civil Designer you will:
- Prepare detailed design drawings (primarily using Civil 3D, and related applications) for a variety of assigned Land Development and Municipal engineering projects.
- Preparing road design and final grading for urban residential development projects.
- Developing engineering drawings and designs for land development and related water resources projects.
- Participating in full-service design of Civil/Municipal engineering projects.
- Stormwater management, site grading, sanitary sewer and water distribution system design for subdivision and land development engineering projects.
- Interpret topographic information required for design.
- Perform site and lot grading.
- Complete the technical analysis of municipal infrastructure components.
- Prepare quantity take-offs and cost estimates.
- Compile as-built records for design and record drawings.
- Prepare contract documents for project tendering and execute project design drawings.
- Prepare Site Grading, Servicing, Erosion/Sediment Control Plans, Details and Notes in AutoCAD for Site Plan Application.
- Prepare Functional Servicing and Stormwater Management Reports in support of Zoning By-law Amendment and Site Plan Application.
- Prepare water/wastewater servicing calculations for proposed land development projects.
- Prepare stormwater management quantity and quality calculations.
- Coordinate design with consultant team including but not limited to: architect, landscape architect, mechanical engineer, electrical engineer, traffic consultant, hydrogeologist, and geotechnical engineer.
- Prepare formal response letters to approving agencies addressing development engineering comments.
The successful applicant will have:
- Completion of Civil Engineering Degree from an Accredited Institution;
- Minimum 3 years of land development and or municipal design experience;
- Eligibility for Professional Engineer (PEng) Designation or Applied Science Technologist (AScT)
- Relevant Internships;
- Experience in Commercial, Subdivisions and Site Plan Design;
- Strong work ethic and motivation to succeed;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and;
- Must be well organized to be able to prioritize multiple tasks and demonstrate a flexible approach to work assignments
Upon joining Aplin Martin, you will receive a competitive salary that is reflective of your skills and experience. You will also have access to a wide range of benefits, including:
- Extended medical, dental and vision benefits.
- Life and disability insurance.
- Flexible work schedules to promote a healthy work/life balance.
- Social and team-building events, including company golf tournaments.
- Relocation assistance available for the right candidate.
At Aplin Martin, you will find a friendly and supportive team that works and plays hard. Our team are passionate about their work and regularly participate in continuing education programs and industry events. We are happy to foster opportunities for professional development and career progression.