Senior Planner – Surrey
As a result of our continued growth, we have an excellent opportunity in our Central City Surrey office for a Senior Planner who enjoys working on diverse community planning with a dynamic team.
The Senior Planner position available requires advanced professional planning experience of high complexity and variety. Some functions are similar to that of the Intermediate Planner level, though the Senior Planner often leads or is significantly involved with larger, more complex planning assignments. Planners at this level exercise greater independence and judgment, receiving general supervision from senior management. The Senior Planner may supervise the Planning Technician, Project Planner or Intermediate Planner.
- Perform advanced professional work related to a variety of planning assignments;
- Prepare planning documents: official plans, growth studies and/or zoning by-laws;
- Manage complex planning studies, development applications, and review proposals;
- Review and process official plan amendments, rezoning, plans of subdivision and site plans
- Act as liaison between clients and approving authorities;
- Develop project budgets, lead projects and verify contract expenditures;
- Liaise with stakeholders to ensure completed work meets client expectations, jurisdiction standards and business unit standards;
- Create and sustain a strong network in the business community;
- Identify potential markets and trends;
- Understand and provide solutions;
- Participate in the preparation of proposals and other related business development activities;
- Ensure smooth workflow by fairly delegating work to resource staff;
- Liaise with team to ensure completed work meets or exceeds client expectation and company standards;
- Actively participates in a team environment; sharing knowledge and learning from other; and
- Participates in after hour Committee/Council meetings, public meetings and client meetings.
- Advanced knowledge of the philosophies, principals, practices & research and techniques of planning;
- Well-developed knowledge of one or more planning disciplines, such as urban design, affordable housing, economic development or land use;
- Knowledge and experience in construction processes;
- Knowledge of effective writing techniques.
- Oral communication and interpersonal skills to present research findings to various boards and committees;
- Creative problem-solving skills including the ability to assess critical issues;
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, project management and computer skills;
- Ability to review plans and apply provisions of the ordinances and codes to determine compliance with such regulations and to apply regulations to field conditions;
- Strong report writing and personal time management capabilities;
- Group facilitation skills for use with community workshops; and
- Ability to motivate, and willing to engage within a team environment to mentor and guide other staff.
The Senior Planner position requires a master’s degree in Planning or related field in addition to a minimum of 7 years of progressive planning experience, preferably in a consulting environment or in a project management role. Full member of the Canadian Institute of Planners. A master’s degree in Urban Planning or Economics is preferred. MCIP Certification or ability to obtain certification within a reasonable period of time is required.