Aplin Martin is an employee-owned company celebrating over 53 years of success in making sustainable communities a reality across Canada. Over these five decades, the Aplin Martin family has grown into a multi-disciplinary firm of 200 civil engineers, urban planners, architects, and land surveyors delivering innovative and practical design solutions, approval strategies, and project management services to our clients in BC, Alberta, and Ontario. At Aplin Martin, we are committed to providing accessible, responsive, and professional service and support to our clients through our offices in Kelowna, Surrey, Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto, Vancouver, and Nanaimo. Our steady expansion in response to opportunities with some incredibly loyal and valued clients and industry partners is achieved because of visionary leadership, talented professionals, and dedicated employees. Aplin Martin has been recognized numerous times and has received the Project of the Year award from the Public Works Association of BC.
As a result of our expanded growth, an immediate opportunity currently exists in our Nanaimo office for a Project Engineer. This is an integral position that requires a minimum of 5 years of design and project management experience. The Project Engineer performs the role of project lead and works independently on various projects as assigned.
Required tasks include but not limited to:
- Has overall technical and financial responsibility for a portfolio of private sector land development projects and or public sector projects;
- Effectively manage assigned projects through the municipal design approval process as the Engineer of Record for the project;
- Responsible for the fundamental aspects of project management of assigned projects including budget tracking and invoicing;
- Direct involvement with the detail design process, guidance of technical support staff as needed to ensure completion of the design objectives, approvals, and documents ready to be issued for construction;
- Exercise judgment on the appropriateness of engineering requirements identified by municipal jurisdictions;
- Attend meetings with clients, contractors and municipal staff and make notes and records of the outcomes of these meetings for project record purposes;
- Meet project milestone events in accordance with client and municipal deadlines;
- Track project progress and obtain authorizations/approvals for changes in schedule/scope;
- Resolve more complex issues during both design and construction phases;
- Contract Administration and Management;
- Operate across a variety of functional levels related to assigned projects; and
- Provides mentorship and evaluation of junior staff.
Abilities and Experience required at these levels include:
- Minimum 5 years of local experience in design of land development projects;
- Registered as a P.Eng. with EGBC;
- Valid Driver’s License;
- Ability to work simultaneously on several different projects;
- Ability to manage multiple projects and clients and provide support to team resources;
- Consistently able to produce accurate, high quality work;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Demonstrates a very thorough understanding of all aspects of the land development industry or municipal field and is a recognized expert in the industry;
- Extensive knowledge and experience dealing with technical design issues, constructability, cost, and design approvals; and
- Extensive knowledge and experience dealing construction administration experience preferred.
Upon joining Aplin Martin, you will receive a competitive salary that is reflective of your skills and experience. You will also have access to a wide range of benefits, including:
- Extended medical, dental and vision benefits
- Life and disability insurance
- Flexible work schedules to promote a healthy work/life balance
- Social and team-building events, including company golf tournaments
- Relocation assistance available for the right candidate
At Aplin Martin, you will find a friendly and supportive team that works and plays hard. Our team is passionate about their work and community. We regularly participate in continuing education programs and industry events. We are happy to foster opportunities for professional development and career progression.