The Planning Designer is an intermediate position within the urban planning industry. The Planning Designer brings a minimum of 2 years of land-use planning and/or development experience to the role and applies this knowledge to analyze policy and produce design. The Planning Designer is responsible for advancing land-development applications and executing strategic project initiatives at the direction of the Project Manager.
The Planning Designer shall exhibit excellent design skills and a proficient ability to think spatially, used to prepare development concepts, design guidelines, subdivision layouts and graphic presentations. This position involves professional-level duties, decision making and judgment, and fewer routine administrative tasks.
The Planning Designer is expected to take an active role in project outcomes and to think through strategic design solutions to day-to-day issues. This position will build practical skills in the field of land-use planning and the land-development industry from within a Professional Planning team.
- Highly proficient at reading and interpreting regulations, policies and Bylaws.
- Strategic thinker, able to think spatially to achieve effective design solutions.
- Knowledge of a relevant Planning specialization(s), including but not limited to land use, Master / Community, transportation, economic, environmental, social, First Nations planning is desired.
- Highly proficient design skills for subdivision and/or land-use planning.
- Advanced design skills used to communicate strategic project objectives. Able to represent and appropriately communicate complex concepts and ideas through graphic presentations and plans.
- Applies problem-solving skills to gather relevant information to solve vaguely defined practical problems.
- Highly organized and able to manage diverse workloads with competing timelines
- Able to work independently or in a team environment, including providing guidance and exhibiting leadership to others.
- Typical Functions
- Interacting with outside agencies, Clients, industry partners and subconsultants.
- Responsible for following an established project schedule set out by others.
- Basic and advanced subdivision and illustrative design.
- Basic and advanced calculations and analysis.
- Compiling base plan(s).
- Collecting background bylaw, policy, and researching project information.
- Preparation of cost estimates (Planning).
- Assisting with proposal preparation, if required.
- Assisting in monitoring minor monthly invoices on projects, if required.
- Responding to Clients on day-to-day technical inquiries.
- Providing Clients with high level advice, if required.
- Negotiating with approval agencies in relaxation of design requirements or acceptance of alternate design options, if required.
- Collecting background project information.
- Preparing technical information / documents for meetings and Open Houses.
- Attending site visits and council meetings, if required.
- Attending open houses.
- Providing mentorship to junior staff.
Skills and Qualifications
- Post-Secondary education or related Diploma in urban planning, land-use design, architecture, or public policy, with a minimum of three (3) years relevant work experience; or Master’s degree in Urban Planning with a minimum of two (2) years of relevant work experience.
- Minimum one (1) year of work experience specifically in land-use planning or land-development is required.
- Advanced design skills, which may include hand drawing/rendering, AutoCAD, Photoshop, Illustrator, and/or InDesign.
- General knowledge of computer hardware and software programs, which may include Microsoft Office and/or GIS.
- Eligibility /Enrollment for MCIP accreditation.
Upon joining Aplin Martin, you will receive a competitive salary that is reflective of your skills and experience. You will also have access to a wide range of benefits, including:
- Extended medical, dental and vision benefits
- Life and disability insurance
- Flexible work schedules to promote a healthy work/life balance
- Social and team-building events
- Relocation assistance available for the right candidate
At Aplin Martin, you will find a friendly and supportive team that works and plays hard. Our team is passionate about their work and community. We regularly participate in continuing education programs and industry events. We are happy to foster opportunities for professional development and career progression.
Apply below with your resume.