An immediate opportunity exists in our Calgary office for an Intermediate Civil Engineering Designer . The successful candidate will be required to prepare construction drawings/documents, assist in the coordination of design and specifications within the context of a multidisciplinary design team.
Designation: EIT/ T.T./C.Tech/ CET
Responsibilities will vary depending on the level of professional standing and extent of experience. For this intermediate position, 3-8 years of experience is expected. Ultimately, the Engineering Designer will assume responsibilities for the conceptual and detail design phases for all aspects of:
- Municipal infrastructure expansion and site plan design.
- Cost estimating and design approvals.
- Engineering analysis and reporting.
- Tender preparation and contract award. and
- Contract administration during the construction phase for either (or both) our land development projects and/or capital works improvements initiatives.
Required tasks include:
- Preparation of detail design drawings (primarily using AutoCAD Civil 3D and related applications) for a variety of assigned municipal engineering projects involving roads, storm and sanitary sewers, catchment maps, water mains, stormwater detention systems and related topics.
- Designing ESC plans.
- Preparation of alternate designs as necessary.
- Interpretation of topographic information required for design.
- Site and lot grading and earthworks balancing/optimization.
- Technical analysis of the municipal infrastructure components including sewer design sheets and modelling software.
- Preparation of quantity take-offs and cost estimates.
- Preparation of reports, letters, memos and other project correspondence.
- Compilation of as-built records for design and record drawings. and
- Preparation of contract documents for project tendering and execution of the project design drawings.
- Site Inspections and contractor coordination
Abilities at these levels include:
- Application of municipal engineering design criteria and drawing preparation standards for individual communities, particularly Subdivision & Development Control Bylaws.
- Following the design and construction standards established for the geographical area of service by the branch.
- Application of relevant sections of the Provincial Building Code as it relates to the design of municipal engineering infrastructure on private property.
- Familiarity with CCDC documents relating to Stipulated Price and Unit Price contracts.
- Familiarity with overarching federal, provincial, and municipal legislation, codes and bylaws.
- Knowledgeable and experienced in all aspects of the detail design of municipal infrastructure for either public or private sector clients.
- Knowledgeable of technical design issues, constructability, cost, and design approvals.
- Knowledgeable of tender preparation with limited construction administration experience.
Upon joining Aplin Martin, you will receive a competitive salary that is reflective of your skills and experience. You will also have access to a wide range of benefits, including:
- Extended medical, dental and vision benefits;
- Life and disability insurance;
- Educational allowances for professional development and career progression;
- Social and team-building events;
At Aplin Martin, you will find a friendly and supportive team that works and plays hard. Our team are passionate about their work and regularly participate in continuing education programs and industry events.